Dedicated on Armistice Day, 1924,
in memory of those who fought and died
in WWI (the Great War)
“To remind us of the Great Sacrifice and of our duty, this Hospital is dedicated to the memory of the men of the Town of Perth, and the Townships of Bathurst, Drummond, North Burgess, and North Elmsley, who gave their lives for their King and Country in the Great War of 1914-1918, and whose names are recorded with gratitude and love in the Book of Remembrance placed below, and in honor of their comrades from these municipalities who so gloriously served.”
Nov. 14, 1924, p. 3 “The Perth Courier”
To Those Who Gave Their Lives
Great War Memorial Hospital – original building, known as Victoria Hall
The Great War Memorial Hospital opened in March of 1923, but the dedication ceremony was not held until Armistice Day in 1924.
Official Opening March 10, 1923
March 9, 1923, p. 1, “The Perth Courier”
Building was the former home of Judge Malloch of Perth, ON
March 16, 1923, p. 1 and 4, “The Perth Courier”
GWM Hospital shown with a later addition to the original structure
The original building, home of Judge Malloch
was said to be one of the finest homes
in all of Eastern Ontario.
Judge Malloch named his home
The Dedication Ceremony in 1924
Since it’s grand opening in 1923, and its dedication in 1924, to the soldiers of the Great War, the hospital has provided comfort and care to those in the community who find themselves within its historic walls.